SkinnyDippingIntoBooks

Skinny Dipping Into Books

time spent in that before bed reading slot:

How are common themes handled?

Where would you keep it post-reading?

Emotional response-

3. Did James Cameron co-wrote this? Artfully contrived.

5-Chanel 4-Prada 3-J-Crew 2-Gap 1-Old Navy

The Complete Stories
Flannery O'Connor
I am No One You Know
Joyce Carol Oates
Unclean Jobs for Women and Girls
Alissa Nutting, Alissa Nutting

almost erotic gay coming of age.

Superhero - Eli Easton
“From that day on, Owen was my best friend—jelly to my peanut butter, fellow pea in my pod, Sam to my Frodo. And I was his.”

When a gay themed novel hits it, it hits it hard. We’ve all read this formulaic plot. Boy, artsy, sort of an outcast, with a limited social network, is best friends with a jock, a jock that slowly shoots up to the social stratosphere because he is such a feisty beef stud. And he wants every inch of his jock friend, but the jock is straight. Stop here. This is where this novel differentiates from the pack.

The story is told through two interlaced perspectives. The first is Jordan, or Jordy, the dorky one listed above, and the second Owen, the muscle ripped jock. However, it is told mostly through the lens of how Jordan sees and experiences things. The tell tail indications of a first person novel, too much introspective and the much too common angsty teenage whines, are mitigated with the author’s smart, selective and precision use of Owen’s views of the same event. We don’t hear a lot from him, but what we hear is important, and tells a narrative of a kid discovering an authentic self. And it’s smart stuff. Even though with Jordan dominating the novel, his portions also contributed to a fuller, more comprehensive view of Owen. They were both bright and flourishing things, and I fucking adored them equally. I really got a sense of them as different people, and the author sidelined all those trite common tropes, and made these two unique. She also made their experiences unique. She also didn't avoid the horniness that is at the center of a teens life. like.at.all.

Because this slipped through the gillnetting of typical gay clichés and redundant plot elements, I would be remiss to give much away. Suffice to say it takes the love struck gay kid, and his caring, compassionate and emotionally stable straight best friend, whom of course he has a crush on, because unrequited love is such unique shit, and spins it, just enough to be a bit original. It felt a lot like a short version of Boyhood, the movie that is, transporting the reader through childhood to late adolescence. It has elements of bullying, jealousy, straight relationships, sports, machismo, the smallest reference to drinking, and sex. Pages and pages of sex. Erotic, detailed, lustful sex. Seriously, a blow job lasted a solid two or more pages. The skill level of depicting a child and teenager’s POV was almost flawless, with the exception of the references of childhood seeming to be sometimes influenced by an older person’s lens.

love.