SkinnyDippingIntoBooks

Skinny Dipping Into Books

time spent in that before bed reading slot:

How are common themes handled?

Where would you keep it post-reading?

Emotional response-

3. Did James Cameron co-wrote this? Artfully contrived.

5-Chanel 4-Prada 3-J-Crew 2-Gap 1-Old Navy

The Complete Stories
Flannery O'Connor
I am No One You Know
Joyce Carol Oates
Unclean Jobs for Women and Girls
Alissa Nutting, Alissa Nutting

Worth skipping this boat ride

The Blue Book: A Novel - A.L. Kennedy

. . Note good reads win.

There is an audience for this. He or she is creative, has an attention span (does not get frustrated), and probably some literature education background. Or an obnoxious undergraduate who references authors and writers, not because he likes reading but because he thinks it impressed women (sorta like that good will hunting see re: 'how do you like dem apples'). To me this had too many devices which segmented an intriguing plot, and destroyed any potential for character development. The pacing was fine, but the use of second person you, which effective in night circus but not here, was misleading and crowded the already stream of consciousness style. I was lost with present versus past. I was further lost by the use of first second and third person. Look, this was the author's creative way of using ill employed method with the goal of making us, the reader feel at sea. So abstract that it's actual too literal. Seriously, what's left, making the reader use a mirror to read backward and forward text..... I did that, it hurts your wrist... Well author, this tactic has been done and that book is called house of leaves.

So what's it about?

The reconnection between two people that used to have a psychic rip off gig (sounds so interesting, no?) are reunited on a swaying boat were neither can abandon the restrictions of the environment.

I'm not going to tell you how they meet or why they are on the ship. Too many details hurts the reader' its quite simple if you think about it. But let's just say it's never grand to see your previous bf in a trader Joes, let alone on a boat with your current partner, particularly if that previous relationship was a bit dysfunctional. A skilled writer with restraint would have put some feelings in this sort of collision of worlds, but i found it flat and uneventful.

Concluding remarks and why I really despised it...

There are readers who will love and gush over this. It was well written (not in construction but in word choice and framing of thoughts, feelings (just not exactly from the characters interactions) but not my cup of tea. The literary adventurous will most likely curl his or her fingers around is binding and love it. Me I'm a simple night reader and this turned into a sea sickening, stomach churning read that failed to capture my attention and just sorta whimpered out once I found my bearings. It's an interesting style (needs to be used correctly), and i truly haven't seen it used much and especially with much success. And the ending, yes it was surprising and interesting, but really at that point I wanted to just throw it across the room.

To be completely honest I just hated how a good concept was squandered and stabbed like a dress on project runaway (Michael c I'm talking about you). It was heavily suppressed by too much creativity and not enough editing (i am restraining myself from making a textile comment here). This could have been hauntingly original but it was tragically obnoxious, and redundant if you consider this style reflecting house of leaves (a story with in a story... Etc. Etc).

Disclaimer i wrote this on my phone at one am