SkinnyDippingIntoBooks

Skinny Dipping Into Books

time spent in that before bed reading slot:

How are common themes handled?

Where would you keep it post-reading?

Emotional response-

3. Did James Cameron co-wrote this? Artfully contrived.

5-Chanel 4-Prada 3-J-Crew 2-Gap 1-Old Navy

The Complete Stories
Flannery O'Connor
I am No One You Know
Joyce Carol Oates
Unclean Jobs for Women and Girls
Alissa Nutting, Alissa Nutting

love is so rough, so harsh, yet so lovely....

The Lover's Dictionary - David Levithan

Solid five. This and me before you are a great coupling

It has been ages since i read a book that crossed the gamut of emotions. I could taste, feel, hear, touch, see, each word, each sentence, each scene.

I imagined it, the novel, as taking place on a sunny day, one of those days where the sky opens wide to reveal a consistent cascade of pale blue. Resting elbows in the grass, sunbathing in the local park. A 20 something young undergraduate passes by on the path to your left, within that moment your mind trails. It does not focus on the physique of this ideal specimen—”ok maybe for a split second” but rather focuses on the 'what ifs'. Your mind tunnels through a distinct, but vague picture show; including the answers to questions like "what would it be like to date him, sleep next to him, hold him, eat breakfast with him, fight with him, flirt with him, embrace him, convey in him, reveal to him,...."

ultimately the vision splinters off, impeded by the what ifs of what ifs.... what if we had that one fight of all fight? what if we didnt last, what happens next, and after that what happens next?..... what if i learn something that repeals me back ways.... what if i, what if i am the catalyst? The answers to these are less inviting, and grounded in abstract notions.

... his passing out of your line of sight forces you back to reality, back to sun baked grass and dehydration.

this book crosses that important threshold into generalizablity. the ambiguity of characters and the ease at which you can adapt to one or the other, is remarkable.

It scares me how hard it is to remember life before you. I can't even make the comparisons anymore, because my memories of that time have all the depth of a photograph. It seems foolish to play games of better and worse. It's simply a matter of is and is no longer.

Who has not felt like this in a relationship?

Equally, the clever and thought provoking design, both the dictionary-esque construction, and the lack of plot conformity, lends to an easy read, while also letting the reader understand the story from his/her own subjective orientation.... but i beg you... beg you.. eat this one in small portions... bask in its beauty.

"corrode v.
I spent all this time building a relationship. Then one night I left the window open and it started to rust.

This is one example of many, 'definitions' or maybe its better to describe them as explanations.... life experiences divided into core reflections, that are quite relatable, to your own life, as well as to other definitions within the book. It is in this, in the authors ability to intertwine portions and pass forward and backward in time, that provides the structure for this novel.

The delicious prose, narration, and word choice hangs on your shoulders and rests on your heart strings for hours, days after you complete the last sentence; perhaps a little hurried to finished and a little upset with your haste.

Lines such as, "You told me anyway, even though I didn't want to know. A stupid drunken fling while you were visiting Toby in Austin. Months ago. And the thing I hate the most is knowing how much hinges on my reaction, how your unburdening can only lead to me being burdened. If I lose it now, I will lose you, too. I know that. I hate it. You wait for my response.  imprint themselves on your very being.

breathtaking, intelligent, beautiful, engaging.... delicate, rough, soft...