SkinnyDippingIntoBooks

Skinny Dipping Into Books

time spent in that before bed reading slot:

How are common themes handled?

Where would you keep it post-reading?

Emotional response-

3. Did James Cameron co-wrote this? Artfully contrived.

5-Chanel 4-Prada 3-J-Crew 2-Gap 1-Old Navy

The Complete Stories
Flannery O'Connor
I am No One You Know
Joyce Carol Oates
Unclean Jobs for Women and Girls
Alissa Nutting, Alissa Nutting

The Elegance of the Hedgehog

The Elegance of the Hedgehog - This reminded me of those friends (we all have them, hey even SNL does a skit about them) that go out and get really drunk and try to pontificate about 'brilliantness. There is something in here that some may have a taste for; it just repelled me, and almost at the first sentence. It was written in this sort of 'old fashioned, tries to mend with the rhythmical prose of.....lets say God of Small Things—short stop here, i loved GOST—, finished with some underlining philosophical concepts. I would have loved this book, conceptually, if it was more modern (stylistically). I hated each and every character, and unlike beloved (also abandoned)i retired this book because i felt that it was contrived, weighed down by the author's obsession to make this novel seem intellectual, and was too darn philosophical at heart. IMO this book is clever; but only in the back summary. As I read it, getting to about 25 percent into the book, i just felt that i was wasting my time, or that my time would be better used. As typical of my reviews ill include some quotes:“When tea becomes ritual, it takes its place at the heart of our ability to see greatness in small things. Where is beauty to be found? In great things that, like everything else, are doomed to die, or in small things that aspire to nothing, yet know how to set a jewel of infinity in a single moment?” “As we all know, poodles are a type of curly-haired dog preferred by petit bourgeois retirees, ladies very much on their own who transfer their affection upon their pet, or residential concierges ensconced in their gloomy loges. Poodles come in black or apricot. The apricot ones tend to be crabbier than the black ones, who on the other hand do not smell as nice. Though all poodles bark snappily at the slightest provocation, they are particularly inclined to do so when nothing at all is happening. They follow their master by trotting on their stiff little legs without moving the rest of their sausage-shaped trunk. Above all they have venomous little black eyes set deep in their insignificant eye-sockets. Poodles are ugly and stupid, submissive and boastful. They are poodles, after all” I just didn't get it. I usually don't 'get' this type of book.