SkinnyDippingIntoBooks

Skinny Dipping Into Books

time spent in that before bed reading slot:

How are common themes handled?

Where would you keep it post-reading?

Emotional response-

3. Did James Cameron co-wrote this? Artfully contrived.

5-Chanel 4-Prada 3-J-Crew 2-Gap 1-Old Navy

Unclean Jobs for Women and Girls
Alissa Nutting, Alissa Nutting

Contagious: Why Things Catch On

Contagious: Why Things Catch On -

So i won this in a goodreads give away.

It's awkward and weird, since i could care less about product delivery, placement, or how one can and will make his or her product succeed. It seems to serve its purpose well, however, that i received this book, but for totally different reasons than the small business person or the fellow reading it for marketing 101 class.

It serves its purposes (FOR ME) in  explaining in very basic ways the means at which one can successfully demonstrate the worthiness of his/her product. It isn't even that complex, it explores the concepts around the viral nature of products.

It will become very practical for any business person, and i assume will be picked up and use in numerous classrooms. And this usage will be well received by any one in these two categories; because who doesn't like the ease of a step by step way of doing anything.

the SSTEPS model:Social Currency; triggers; emotions; public; practical values; stories. Is very practical, and has small utility for those NOT in the above mentioned groups (PR firms, biz people etc). That said it's always interesting why one product is well received over another, and what standards (cost, especially) are determined by way of a very simple and predictable (now that i read the book) process. The process is further simplified by very simple and well known examples of products.

He also pulls from existing, current information, such as books, and literature that we all, at some point have either seen on the rack, or have purchased ourselves. Example... the tipping point, which is mentioned in the book, was vary popular across different demographics.

this book is, however more applicable, or more easily understood in an academic or professional crowd. If you are not in business, marketing, or the like, you will find it only slightly useful; however you may find it interesting. if you are in any of the related fields mentioned throughout, well, yes this is probably very essential, and easy reading for you.

Its also research based (and up to date), so that is a strength of the book. Chapter notes (at the end of the book) are akin to any sort of journal (in a sorta, kinda way), text book that you may be used to. It breaks the chapters into sections, and allows one to further his or her reading. For this reason, it may be particularly useful in an education setting.

There are some funny and delightful parts to this book; seriously. It is also written in very simple terms (as mentioned before), but this doesnt diminish its core values and importance. Examples are used, throughout, like i said, and this increases ones ability to understand the concepts discussed. These are some of the reasons one outside of the profession of education of business may use it.

the three rating is only because i typically grade books according to their useability in MY LIFE (an issue many friends/PR persons etc of this author tend to piss and moan about. All those little shits and their lovely degrading comments will be deleted.. so don't waste your time. eventually it will just force me to mark this book as a one). i do think this would be a five star book for ANYONE who would read it in an education setting, or for those starting off a small (may be particularly useful here) business.