SkinnyDippingIntoBooks

Skinny Dipping Into Books

time spent in that before bed reading slot:

How are common themes handled?

Where would you keep it post-reading?

Emotional response-

3. Did James Cameron co-wrote this? Artfully contrived.

5-Chanel 4-Prada 3-J-Crew 2-Gap 1-Old Navy

The Complete Stories
Flannery O'Connor
I am No One You Know
Joyce Carol Oates
Unclean Jobs for Women and Girls
Alissa Nutting, Alissa Nutting

You are trying too hard... and failing at it.

There Is No Dog - Meg Rosoff

goodreads win

ok the premise has a little bit of... Douglas Adams feel to it.

The metaphoric crap (sorry for the crudeness) was too philosophic and confounded.... i suppose simply put, it was lost on me.

We have seen this before though. the idea that god can take different shapes, sizes, objects (living or non living) and the idea, if not put in the frame of a talented and astute author almost always falls short. For me, this book fell into the second class—failed attempted at something larger and more profound.

The primary character, the supposed God does shit all of his job and, in a lazy manner without effort just passes on the responsibility to others. This, in some what i cant really articulate right now (partially my own laziness) just gnawed at me. What a bitchy, entitled little.... well you get the point.

A lasting sense of meaning, purpose, or anything sorta escapes this novel. and its not to say that this isn't funny... the writing style is average to good and witty/funny throughout.

but you coulda, shoulda been my thing, man. I read the book cover and was like 'i can get into this'... but, alas, i couldn't.... but i get it, it wasn't for me.... it will be for a very select minority, those who like it dark, with undercurrents of philosophy... but i just didnt care for it .