SkinnyDippingIntoBooks

Skinny Dipping Into Books

time spent in that before bed reading slot:

How are common themes handled?

Where would you keep it post-reading?

Emotional response-

3. Did James Cameron co-wrote this? Artfully contrived.

5-Chanel 4-Prada 3-J-Crew 2-Gap 1-Old Navy

The Complete Stories
Flannery O'Connor
I am No One You Know
Joyce Carol Oates
Unclean Jobs for Women and Girls
Alissa Nutting, Alissa Nutting

expertly examining a difficult subject

Night Falls Fast: Understanding Suicide - Kay Redfield Jamison

The applicability of this book to my life is not appropriate. This book is far too academic for my CURRENT taste. I would have chewed this one up in seconds in graduate school, but alas that was two years ago and reading this just brought about stress. THAT SAID, its amazing, well written, well researched, and carefully constructed. It is by far the best book on suicide, and the most approachable that I have EVER read. it's a shame graduate school did not force us to read this one.

the book is finely tuned. Each chapter has numerous vignettes which support, lead into, or develop each chapter. the chapters are well researched (really, really well) and easily understood. My only recommendation is that burn out can be quite high if read front to cover as one would read a novel. the content is unforgiving, raw, and very easily conveyed. Study after study is explored with personal reflection (if one has read her previous books you may get a faint echo of unquiet mind). My mind, however was not quiet while reading this and is still spinning; very very fast. there is A TON of information in this book; enough so that i must purchase a copy and highlight the hell out of it.

there is information in here for anyone; clients, change agents, allies, etc!

read with caution, however for both its content is unforgiving and will, even if you have no experience with suicide, stir you and cause an overwhelming urge to scream/cry/put the book down wide eyed... or just go take a long cold shower. (i did all of the above, twice).

i enjoyed the first 150 pages the most, as they felt more personable.... and then my attention was then pulled back in during the discussion of the brain, diet, etc. Bite this one off in sections, and take your time. weave it in and out with another book, because it will consume you.

Oh and onward to one complaint. I would have enjoyed this book more if it was mirrored with something else. perhaps it it wasnt fully focused on suicide, but i really have NO idea what i would pair it with. All i know is that im exhausted and going for a long, long walk through the city.

Post notes: i actually re-read portions (particularly those related to treatment)—since my brain was fried, my emotions jagged and non-existent, and my body physically tired, from reading this—and i have to say, that revisiting these sections was rewarding.