SkinnyDippingIntoBooks

Skinny Dipping Into Books

time spent in that before bed reading slot:

How are common themes handled?

Where would you keep it post-reading?

Emotional response-

3. Did James Cameron co-wrote this? Artfully contrived.

5-Chanel 4-Prada 3-J-Crew 2-Gap 1-Old Navy

The Complete Stories
Flannery O'Connor
I am No One You Know
Joyce Carol Oates
Unclean Jobs for Women and Girls
Alissa Nutting, Alissa Nutting

Fast talking gilmore girls actor can WRITE, yes, yes she can... and well.

Someday, Someday, Maybe - Lauren Graham

ARC (good reads):

you all read the blurb: "From Lauren Graham, the beloved star of Gilmore Girls and Parenthood, comes a witty, charming, and hilariously relatable debut novel about a struggling young actress trying to get ahead―and keep it together―in New York City.

It’s January 1995, and Franny Banks has just six months left of the three-year deadline she set for herself when she came to New York, dreaming of Broadway and doing “important” work. But all she has to show for her efforts so far is a part in an ad for ugly Christmas sweaters, and a gig waiting tables at a comedy club. Her roommates―her best friend Jane, and Dan, an aspiring sci-fi writer―are supportive, yet Franny knows a two-person fan club doesn’t exactly count as success. Everyone tells her she needs a backup plan, and though she can almost picture moving back home and settling down with her perfectly nice ex-boyfriend, she’s not ready to give up on her goal of having a career like her idols Diane Keaton and Meryl Streep. Not just yet. But while she dreams of filling their shoes, in the meantime, she’d happily settle for a speaking part in almost anything—and finding a hair product combination that works.

Everything is riding on the upcoming showcase for her acting class, where she’ll finally have a chance to perform for people who could actually hire her. And she can’t let herself be distracted by James Franklin, a notorious flirt and the most successful actor in her class, even though he’s suddenly started paying attention. Meanwhile, her bank account is rapidly dwindling, her father wants her to come home, and her agent doesn’t return her calls. But for some reason, she keeps believing that she just might get what she came for.

Someday, Someday, Maybe is a story about hopes and dreams, being young in a city, and wanting something deeply, madly, desperately. It’s about finding love, finding yourself, and perhaps most difficult of all in New York City, finding an acting job."

but what about the style, prose, and all that stuff.... yes. totally unexpected. yes funny and witty at times. yes there will be more filling these blanks as soon as i get my act together.. 4... almost 4.5 it will slowly creep its lovely head towards a five (i expect) within the next few days. I am in the mist of depressing reads, and this one will certainly break up that trend.

this sorta reminded me of "what is the what"... but in a totally different; no radically different manner. its about hope, certainly. but its cleverly funny  (witty even) and nothing like "Gilmore Girls"... aspects of her parenthood character seep in (a more serious, mature and equally thriving venture); but just barely.. this is a whole new direction for this actor and now author... write more... write more, dear Graham.

SIDE NOTE: this is NOT just for the gals. so stop being silly and give this one a try, boys.