SkinnyDippingIntoBooks

Skinny Dipping Into Books

time spent in that before bed reading slot:

How are common themes handled?

Where would you keep it post-reading?

Emotional response-

3. Did James Cameron co-wrote this? Artfully contrived.

5-Chanel 4-Prada 3-J-Crew 2-Gap 1-Old Navy

The Complete Stories
Flannery O'Connor
I am No One You Know
Joyce Carol Oates
Unclean Jobs for Women and Girls
Alissa Nutting, Alissa Nutting
Swamplandia! - Karen Russell Two and three quarters-Its difficult to really assess; at least with any clear accuracy. the writing was lush. I found myself in the Pit. Clutching to the red alligator, and walking the trails with the swamp man, sweat on my brow and the smell of decaying vegetation strong. The writing reminded me of eggars meets Murakami. .. examples:"But it had mattered to Kiwi; the changes on our island had robbed my brother of actual matter, had changed him in a way that I could touch.Do not even say the word ‘sun’ here, Aspiring Spiritists, or the trees of the Underworld will punish you for it: to do so would be like telling kindling the epic of fire, or whispering lamp to the darkThe beginning of the end can feel a lot like the middle when you are living in it.I came to hate the complainers, with their dry and crumbly lipsticks and their wrinkled rage and their stupid, flaccid, old-people sun hats with brims the breadth of Saturn's rings"lovely... lovely.. some of the best writing that i have witnessed in years. The unevenness of the plot, however tugged at my collar the entire time i read this novel. The plot divided numerous times, and at the beginning of these twists and turns it held up nicely. However, the author failed to, or at times failed to, solidify each.What made it a 2 and three quarters book (and this is a bit over what i think it deserves, but the writing pushed it up a notch) is the authors inability to introduce topics, plots, in an even, non cookie cutter method. Also, at times i felt that she focused too much on a particular smell, action, etc without elucidating important parts of the book. In the end i found myself disgusted with the writers decision to divide the plot in three, and found the ending troubling, and without substance.