SkinnyDippingIntoBooks

Skinny Dipping Into Books

time spent in that before bed reading slot:

How are common themes handled?

Where would you keep it post-reading?

Emotional response-

3. Did James Cameron co-wrote this? Artfully contrived.

5-Chanel 4-Prada 3-J-Crew 2-Gap 1-Old Navy

The Complete Stories
Flannery O'Connor
I am No One You Know
Joyce Carol Oates
Unclean Jobs for Women and Girls
Alissa Nutting, Alissa Nutting
Motherless Brooklyn - Jonathan Lethem like The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.... except:1. It's about an adult with tourettes syndrome 2. the prose and writing and dialog is more complex, and thus evokes a visceral response 3. the DX is explained and explored in a few ways that drifts away from TCIOTDITNT.3a: its part of the narrative, to the extend that I developed sort of this, relationship... connection to the main character3b: it highlights the social emotional struggles for both the main character as well as those around him. His DX is a primary challenge as well as a strength for both his profession and his social life.4. It was utterly complex in the way the DX manifested in the setting. His behaviors—beyond his interactions with others—as well as his inner dialog was tight, perfect and dead on. --------there were of course some storyline issues, but they were few and far between that i can not recall them with any clarity. They mostly involved secondary characters, many of which did not matter. However, i do have to say that some, if not all of the secondary characters were brought into the story, rather than circulating around it; does that even make sense? It's more like, the characters were part of the Lionel's life—and, therefore radically defined by his twitching, barking, swearing, etc. There is no planet and sun alignment here. Shit went down half way through the book, and characters shifted, developed into other forms—all of which, if you reflect back, were subtly elusive in the first half, but were still present. Its like the author took the strengths and challenges of each character, and with a huge change to the story line, discounted all but two characters strengths and focused on how the characters' deficits/weaknesses and challenges of each had the capacity to corrode their lives; whether for the better or worse, well that's up for you to decide.people will hate this book or love it—no in between—, and it doesn't wrap up in a nice little package. Some questions and details remain unanswered, but this does not, in any way reduce this fantastic novel. In a time were The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time like novels have descended on the literary world, and mental illness has become—far too often— central to many protagonist's lives, this one does it right, and with poise, respect, and dignity to the disorder. I did not find that it was exploited or wrongly conceived DXS that I have with similar efforts.oh, and there is a total mob theme here. No, not as complex or noteworthy as the Godfather. More like Mobsters (1991) Meets Boardwalk Empire (season one spec!) sorta way. What I'm saying is, is its not the blood bath, modern version of a mob story/movie that we see now-a-days. It speak more to the progression of the main characters, their motivations, and their futures, than to the central theme. this crime element is a sneaky one, though and you have to take a look behind the curtain to know whats truly significant.this is a 'red wine (2008 Chateau Brillette Comte du Perier de Larsan, Moulis-en-Medoc, perhaps), sit by a slow, ember fire, get away from the kids for awhile', sorta book. marvel in its subtle differences—like the region the wine you are drinking comes from (Moulis-en-Medoc; it's small)—and enjoy a book that edges on common, while staking a name for itself.