SkinnyDippingIntoBooks

Skinny Dipping Into Books

time spent in that before bed reading slot:

How are common themes handled?

Where would you keep it post-reading?

Emotional response-

3. Did James Cameron co-wrote this? Artfully contrived.

5-Chanel 4-Prada 3-J-Crew 2-Gap 1-Old Navy

The Complete Stories
Flannery O'Connor
I am No One You Know
Joyce Carol Oates
Unclean Jobs for Women and Girls
Alissa Nutting, Alissa Nutting
Land of Decoration - Grace McCleen

I really wanted to LOVE this book. It has all the markings and reviews that lead me to believe this would be another ROOM; one of my favorite books, at least in the last five years. Ultimately, I just liked this book. It swayed back and forth between a three and a two, and given the ending (no spoiler here) it fell flat on two, almost crushing it with its weight.

Issues with writing and execution: the two main characters both lacked depth. Issues with general construction, and sequencing abound, having a deleterious effect on the clear, accurate, and succinct writing style. word choice was meticulously executed, but the broader ideas were configured and organized

So what did i enjoy? It was simply written, and the imagery was completed with master strokes. The word choice was both accurate to the pose, as well as having a lasting effect on the reader. Some of the sentences demand a second, third, fourth reading. The crisis situations, and there are many, are well organized and explored in an almost poetic and unforgiving manner.

We all know the themes at this point. girl's life is chaotic. girl embraces her religion. girl is challenged by actions, and her prior perception, that religion was all together good is challenged.... enter domino effect. girls actions challenge the community, alter the fabric of both her fathers and her schools existence. at the end lessons are learned, but the reader is left feeling a tad confused, if not irritated with how quickly things resolved and without much depth to really understand the fundamental themes that culminated on the last few pages. (slight spoiler coming up) Alas we end with instructions on how to create an object (balloon), not for the land of decorations, but in real life. its symbolism is faint and lost on the reader who is already confused/angry/etc with the ending of the book. I get it. I really do. The balloon was a central theme throughout the novel, but the greater importance of this object was lost on me.

in the end this is a decent project for an author beginning her career, she just needs to pay attention to focusing her themes and objectives, character development (in more terms of realism, palpable human qualities), and the role of climax in a book.

I just sorta liked you. Didn't feel a need to cuddle you at night. This is why, in retrospect you got upped from a two to a three. Don't get all egoed up on me now....