SkinnyDippingIntoBooks

Skinny Dipping Into Books

time spent in that before bed reading slot:

How are common themes handled?

Where would you keep it post-reading?

Emotional response-

3. Did James Cameron co-wrote this? Artfully contrived.

5-Chanel 4-Prada 3-J-Crew 2-Gap 1-Old Navy

The Complete Stories
Flannery O'Connor
I am No One You Know
Joyce Carol Oates
Unclean Jobs for Women and Girls
Alissa Nutting, Alissa Nutting

All about the hype.... editor needed to red-pen this one.

Daughter of Smoke & Bone - Laini Taylor

i deleted all my angsty, while-in-grad-school-ill-be-overly-critical review and sum it up quite simply; this is book that is overly submerged in teenage stereotypical behaviors and dialog. I actually took a moment to re-read portions of the book, as i had forgotten specifics. I had forgotten what had lead the two sides to fight, how tow members of both sided united, and why it fell asunder so fast. I had also forgotten, until i re-approached this novel, why i disliked it so much. It wasn't the descriptions and the plot that filled me with distaste, but the narrative. the narrative, all of it, as well as the 'love scenes' felt trite and poorly rendered. What seemed as utterly lackluster, was the authors terminal ability to galvanize any sort of emotion in her narrations. I loved, dearly the description, but dreaded the interactions between the characters. The setting and context seemed so mature, so ready to explore various forms of morality and human dynamics, but it settled on a superficial investigation of these themes.

what really established this book as one I should have avoided, however was the ending 'to be continued'... i believe this echos the entire feeling of the book. I find this sort of method akin to haphazard chapter transitions between characters; another trite, and overly abundant method used by many authors.

character development was superficial, as well. motives, intent, reflection, and insight were lacking throughout. I felt very little connection, and when i say connection, i felt that i didnt understand any of the characters overall personalities. the characters seemed to be only partially constructed versions of themselves, and there interactions between one another one dimensional.

In the end, my biggest complaint remains; dialog. The draft needed a review by a teenager, or someone well versed in teenager behavior/dialog/communication styles. i would have red penned a lot of this book before its publication.