SkinnyDippingIntoBooks

Skinny Dipping Into Books

time spent in that before bed reading slot:

How are common themes handled?

Where would you keep it post-reading?

Emotional response-

3. Did James Cameron co-wrote this? Artfully contrived.

5-Chanel 4-Prada 3-J-Crew 2-Gap 1-Old Navy

Unclean Jobs for Women and Girls
Alissa Nutting, Alissa Nutting

the movie was better...

The Silver Linings Playbook - Matthew Quick

Absolutely miserable waste of time. This book sets the standard of lowest bar below anything I could fathom; anything i have EVER read.

It appears that this book was structured, not around a plot but around a shamelessly badly rendered character. This idea could have been surprisingly successful, if in the hands of a author who knows his craft. 2d characters. You can almost hear the echo of their cries as they wither in a lack of creativity and the weight of their soul crush monotony.

The main character is a narcissistic, obsessed, child who had the cognitive abilities of a ten year old boy, pampered by a mother with low self-esteem and tremendous enmeshment issues. He seems to process information at an incredibly slow speed and perceives thing with such little competence that it is truly astonishing; think gold fish. Seriously, referring to a psychiatric facility as the "bad place" when he is a thirty something year old? Does he also sleep with a teddy bear and call his mom into his room, petrified of the monster in the closet?

His behavior has nothing to do with his diagnosis but completely and totally everything to do with a poor conceived central character. He demonstrates borderline tendencies, but these are so poorly constructed and demonstrated that it almost distracts the reader. In the movie they outlined a decent, although simplistic illustration of bipolar disorder. In the book he pops so many pills he is a walking drug store. Even when skipping his medication he doesn't demonstrate any significant symptomatology. So, are we just to assume that the author wrote a novel about a bloated, stereotypical man?

Cause Seriously that's been done.

We also have a therapist that acts in an unethical, immoral, and haphazard manner. This is dangerous in a climate that isolates those who seek out therapists, and in a dangerous time in history where mental health awareness is paramount to a functioning society. There is some serious misguided bullshit here.

The father/ son relationship can really be summed up by:

Homer (IE father Pat Peoples): Stupid boy. All you do is cost me money. Money I could be wasting." (on a TV after i threw the remote at the old one)...

"Albus Dumbledore (IE: Pat Peoples): Don't ignore me" ...

Chip (IE: Pat Peoples): [being spanked as part of Omega's initiation] Thank you, sir! May I have another?....

and repeat

Tension between father and son fell completely flat and was absolutely noteless. The very fabrication of this relationship was so poorly constructed that it surpasses expectations of how horrible a character's relationship with another major character could be.

The dialog is tone death, the relations between characters non-distinct. The characters so under developed it seems they are a carbon copy of one another, almost cartoony in an 80s retro before technology sorta way.

A rip off of about ten other books;see other reviews; http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/457676069

Trite, repetitive and under develop plot lines.

It appears that little effort was put into the majority of the plot and especially the smaller sub plots. Crazy ass bastard is totally scary obsessed with his ex wife (of whom he has NOT seen for four years); it's just really creepy; like restraining order creep fest. It echos the whole box plot device of This is Why We Broke Up ; switch out box for ex-wife. Yet, by some extraordinary means, this is even worse than This is Why We Broke Up.

A downright disgrace to a movie that, while completely and utterly flawed, at least held strings of suspense and character development. It at least had a twinkle of self respect and dignity. This book, on the other hand is the complete absence of those qualities and lacks craft, and exudes a lack of skill and sophistication.

If this was project runway I could hear Tim Gunn saying "Congratulations on this perfect example of an overworked, underwhelming piece"