SkinnyDippingIntoBooks

Skinny Dipping Into Books

time spent in that before bed reading slot:

How are common themes handled?

Where would you keep it post-reading?

Emotional response-

3. Did James Cameron co-wrote this? Artfully contrived.

5-Chanel 4-Prada 3-J-Crew 2-Gap 1-Old Navy

netgalley

Constitution of the Shadow Faculty of Gastronomic Science

Herein lie the immutable rules of the Shadow Faculty of Gastronomic Science:

Rule One

All members must be fellows of St Jerome’s College, Oxford.
Rule Two

All members must ascribe to the gastronomic principles pronounced by Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin1.

Rule Three

The Faculty must hold a dinner of gastronomic significance in the eighth week of each term.

Rule Four

Each member must invite one guest per dinner and ensure that their guest presents a new dish to the Faculty.

Rule Five

The Faculty must ensure that no dish is served more than once with the exception of a truffled turkey, which is to be served each year at the Michaelmas dinner.

Rule Six

A member of the Faculty is elected for life unless they breach rules one, two or four.

Rule Seven

The Shadow Faculty will remain in existence until the University of Oxford inaugurates an official Faculty of Gastronomic Science.

And so begins our short, but unique novel. Think Flight Club without the blood, thrashings, and forced metaphors. There is a certain degree of the macabre, which is very much front and center to this novel, but is more of a landscape, compared to a figure situated towards the foreground. This is equally a character driven and plot driven novel.

The story revolves around the death of one of the group’s members, and weaves a tale of the ethical, moral, and personal reflections of entertaining the idea of cannibalism. The idea of consuming the flesh of ones’ own species is a profound issue, and it is clear from the beginning that each member of the Shadow Society is consumed by regret—of agreeing to the Will of one of its members—as well as the inner turmoil of considering this task, and perhaps their individual curiosity. They seem utterly vexed by the idea of the culinary contributions of human flesh. In the end themes of morality, ethics, as well as human curiosity neatly coalesces into a nice, if not also a forced ending.

Characters are developed well, however, secondary character specifically those of students of Oxford are rendered with a swift brush that at times leaves the reader craving for more. These under developed characters do get there time in the spotlight, as the various storylines seem to cross paths, however, this too seemed rushed; however one must also realize that this part of the story is so insignificant that it could be edited out without notice. However, on the flip side those smaller characters assist in the reader’s understanding of the context and setting of the Reluctant Cannibals. They also shine in adding to the complexities of class systems. To a certain extend they also dispel the notion that those in a lower class are less important; relegation to a lower class or professional position does not strip one of his/her ability to exercise intelligence nor does it eliminate the basic human attributes shared among everyone.

In the end the book shines with originality, as I have trouble reflecting on books that center around the tasting of human flesh SPECIFICALLY for culinary experimentation. I did feel that it could have either been straightened up with a clearer, less intellectualized style, and a few trimmings here and there, however, I highly recommend this book for its novel themes and subject matter.