SkinnyDippingIntoBooks

Skinny Dipping Into Books

time spent in that before bed reading slot:

How are common themes handled?

Where would you keep it post-reading?

Emotional response-

3. Did James Cameron co-wrote this? Artfully contrived.

5-Chanel 4-Prada 3-J-Crew 2-Gap 1-Old Navy

The Complete Stories
Flannery O'Connor
I am No One You Know
Joyce Carol Oates
Unclean Jobs for Women and Girls
Alissa Nutting, Alissa Nutting

The hen that flew into a brick wall

The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly - Kim Chi-Young, Sun-mi Hwang, Nomoco

NETGALLEY

Laced with a heavy emphasis on themes such as family, transition, adulthood, and death, this novel traces the life of a hen, her offspring, and the various life transitions speckled in between. This simple tale recalls previous works, including charlotte's Web, Love You Forever, as well as echos of primary themes often seen and explored in Haruki Murakami's work.

The downside of this novel is that it is overly literal in the way it explores these themes. Compared to the works listed above, it separates itself from the pack by being too simplistic; an approach that will ultimately lead to its failure.  Rather than taking on a more abstract tone, Hwang decides to write in a simple style that is heavily on metaphors. Unfortunately this does not work. She would have been fairly successful if she used one of these techniques—a heavy emphasis on metaphors or a simple style of exploring life transitions—, rather than both, and if she painted these themes with a light wrist, rather than heavy, forced brushstroke. What I mean by the latter is that it's essential to embrace a light hand when explore life transitions using metaphors, and it is more successful if these references are covert, written in a more abstract form, such as Murakami's work. Sometimes quiet is delicious.

Yes, the beauty of the prose alone is something that may intrigue readers. Taken at face value, the simplistic style is approachable, if one does not pay attention to the overt and weighty emphasis on life and lessons. If you were to simply look at this as a hen who finds her dreams coming true, then it may be a winner. However, like I previously mentioned, this does not work, given the heavy analytical prose.

One may question the translation, however, and even go to such lengths as to explore how the translation to English may have deadened the meaning, damaged the tone, and wrecked the prose. Perhaps in its original language this book flourished. This is something to keep in mind while reading The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly. However, one also must return to this version, and in this particular English version this novel just fell flat.

2.5