SkinnyDippingIntoBooks

Skinny Dipping Into Books

time spent in that before bed reading slot:

How are common themes handled?

Where would you keep it post-reading?

Emotional response-

3. Did James Cameron co-wrote this? Artfully contrived.

5-Chanel 4-Prada 3-J-Crew 2-Gap 1-Old Navy

Alissa Nutting, Alissa Nutting

When a novel unravels

We Were Liars - E. Lockhart

NETGALLEY ARC!!!

This book started out with a bang. It captured the essence of contemporary literature and the future of young adult novels, with its unique prose, its style, and the poetic language and structure that laced its way through paragraphs, it established itself as a wondrous novel.  I was excited for this and felt a warm tug from inside the book that encouraged me to continue reading it. however….

It slowly began to suffer from "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" syndrome—started off a grand display of talent and potential but quickly unraveled—, which put a grand frown on my face. Initially I enjoyed the poetic and disjointed prose that became the signature of this book, but it slowly became redundant, contrived, and soaked the book in a heaviness that was difficult to digest. I have to admit the book maintained a serious and solid tone, but, besides the authors deftness in writing it, it became a tad underwhelming.

The ending of the book suffered from pacing issues, both in style as well as the overall approach. I found that the plot dissolved in a manner that reflected a grad school writing assignment rather than a product from a writer that has perfected, or at least fine tuned her skill to some degree. The last few chapters seemed rushed, establishing what I knew the ending would announce, but did so in a forced, overt manner. These chapters read more like a review, or a back over, rather than a nicely tuned piece of literature.

Character development was shy of perfection, and in many cases felt messy, and the characters not distinguished from one another. When successful the characters shined in their uniqueness and traits were explored to a decent degree.

Absolutely an author to watch for, but this one really didn't do it for me.

Initial thoughts via phone.....I'll review how disappointed wretched it's ugly head later