SkinnyDippingIntoBooks

Skinny Dipping Into Books

time spent in that before bed reading slot:

How are common themes handled?

Where would you keep it post-reading?

Emotional response-

3. Did James Cameron co-wrote this? Artfully contrived.

5-Chanel 4-Prada 3-J-Crew 2-Gap 1-Old Navy

The Complete Stories
Flannery O'Connor
I am No One You Know
Joyce Carol Oates
Unclean Jobs for Women and Girls
Alissa Nutting, Alissa Nutting

get a shrink

Preventing Bipolar Relapse: A Lifestyle Program to Help You Maintain a Balanced Mood and Live Well - Ruth  White

netgalley

How-to- 'survive' 'cope with' 'understand'- (insert illness here) are rarely… no never successful. They are incredibly singular in approach, with scant review of gender, age, social-economic demographic, or other crucial factors. In this way they establish a baseline of irrelevant suggestions, a passing, hasty analysis of data, and deliver a shallow arrangement of ill-constructed out-come-based hypotheticals. Let's put it this way, generalizations applied to human experiences and behavior never work, and never will work.

The most agitating competent of these how-to-books is the abundance of hope one places on its contents. this misplaced hope in turn can lead to further complications, most specific of which is a deeper loss of hope.

This book is not an exception to this trend, and it may even be one of the worst examples. Bipolar disorder is not, as the label suggest, cemented within binary variables. It is a continuum of behaviors that are, to a large extent very individualized. irritability, depression, anger, panic, sadness, aggression, alcohol and drug dependency, as well as others trail alone from one extreme, depression, to the other mania; and guess what? they make pitstops along the way. This is not your game of pong with one emotion ricocheting off another.

point is….

This book regurgitates information, data—briefly, and hastily—in such a way that it could convince people that it has girth and substance to it. A closer inspection reveals that it is supplying a lean version of care that one would (SHOULD) obtain in therapy and through medical interventions. From contracts to an explanation on sleep cycles, to a very poor review of medication interventions, this book not only misses the mark, it establishes the criteria of failure for future 'manuals' to come.

The danger of books like this is that they can so easily distract people, rather than support them with their health care needs. this is even more relevant with a bipolar population, where adhering to medical, psychological, and social elements essential for maintenance are often ignored, or avoided.