SkinnyDippingIntoBooks

Skinny Dipping Into Books

time spent in that before bed reading slot:

How are common themes handled?

Where would you keep it post-reading?

Emotional response-

3. Did James Cameron co-wrote this? Artfully contrived.

5-Chanel 4-Prada 3-J-Crew 2-Gap 1-Old Navy

The Complete Stories
Flannery O'Connor
I am No One You Know
Joyce Carol Oates
Unclean Jobs for Women and Girls
Alissa Nutting, Alissa Nutting

this is the it of Kombucha

Kombucha Revolution: 75 Recipes for Homemade Brews, Fixers, Elixirs, and Mixers - 'Stephen Lee',  'Ken Koopman'

NETGALLEY.... AND A MUST NETGALLEY AT THAT

Kombucha, Do you know what it is? It’s tangy, with a tonic sort of back. It has a zing like vinegar, but it’s fresh and kept in check. If you haven’t yet ventured to buy one, I suggest going to your local health food/whole food store and picking up a single bottle to sample. Mind you there are so many favors that you shouldn’t be put off right away; try a few. Flavors span from ginger, to berries and fruits, all the way to grasses. It’s filled with vital amino acids and essential vitamins. It’s healthy, folks. NEXT PICK UP THIS BOOK AND MAKE YOUR OWN!!

It starts with a Scoby; sometimes called a mother, at least by the boyfriend. He combines it with a brewed tea, sugar (sometimes adding a bit of vinegar) and lets it sit for a few months. What forms is a substance that floats on the top like a small island that looks a lot like wax. Filter, pour, store, and drink…. Done. Yeah, well now with this book we will be radically changing that procedure.

It is almost impossible to locate a book that gives a history, instructions, and recipes of how to make Kombucha. It is even less likely that you will find recipes that stretch beyond just the traditional drink. UNTIL NOW!

This book starts with an in depth history of Kombucha. I learned so many things from this section! It then goes on to the various part of Kombucha, the health benefits, and instructions of when to take it; again learned a lot here… I NEED MORE in my diet. I cannot say enough how much knowledge this first portion packs into just a small amount of pages.

Then when we get to the recipes, NOT ONLY does it give you an abundance of recipes, tips and essential guidelines are given; again, learned a lot. These include key ways to use equipment and extend to the details of making brews, such as making it less sweet. Then the author gives you a nice, concise, specific way to harvest your brews. I can’t tell you have many times we have bottled it too early. Now, an interesting fact, you may find your brew is too tart, too vinegar tasting, well its over-brewed just like you can over-brew teas.

Lovely recipes follow and I am overwhelmed. While reading it I’d randomly say out loud to the boyfriend “We are making this” “Lets make this” “SALT SCRUBS!”

ALL I can say is you must buy this if you are already invested in making Kombucha, or if you have even the slightest bit of interested. IT is highly approachable for any level of expertise, and those recipes look delicious.