SkinnyDippingIntoBooks

Skinny Dipping Into Books

time spent in that before bed reading slot:

How are common themes handled?

Where would you keep it post-reading?

Emotional response-

3. Did James Cameron co-wrote this? Artfully contrived.

5-Chanel 4-Prada 3-J-Crew 2-Gap 1-Old Navy

The Complete Stories
Flannery O'Connor
I am No One You Know
Joyce Carol Oates
Unclean Jobs for Women and Girls
Alissa Nutting, Alissa Nutting

the adult version of the magic school bus

Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal - Mary Roach

Mary Roach is an all-star in my opinion. I’ve read almost all of her books, except the Mars one. I’ve learned a substantial amount of ‘I can gross out co-workers and friends’ facts. I’ve learned to over-analyze my sexual activity—which can be fascinating, but is often a huge distraction. I’ve also learned that, given the large amount of people who carry on with severed penises, to really appreciate Bear Grylls—sustain the laughter, I quite enjoy the nickname. It is a huge improvement over calling it Gilligan. I’ve decided that I want to be turned into compost when I have coronary failure—a delightful insight resulting from a splurge on DNA testing.

Here, in the lovely world of the mouth downward I’ve learned a myriad of interesting, often boring, but sometimes useful facts. For instance my earthy crunchy sister will now be shutdown when she insists on doing her ‘cleansings’—because, to be completely honest I could care less about her weird fascination with her colon. And transplants have always fascinated me, regardless of the substance, organ or whatever. Bacteria is everywhere and I now have a closer grasp on its utility and usefulness; respect. Still this didn’t clear up the debate regarding sitting versus standing that often comes up between my friends whom lack any sort of social graces. What I means is, WHERE IS THE HUMOR?!

Dogs, Dogs and more dogs consume a large amount of the book. I felt I was in my youth reading, or demanding my mom read, Go Dog Go. Arguably this is one of the places were Roach should have contained herself. I found it distracting, and to a large extent not very helpful that she focused so much on canines. The scarcity of human facts detracted from the book’s overall focus, leading to scant overview of the lower intestines, colon, and rectum. Since society definitely has an aversion —however unfair neglectful and detrimental—on the lower regions and function of these parts, a larger emphasis on these areas would have had tremendous benefits. But hey, I now know a hell of a lot more about dog food than before picking this book up.

The Alimentary Canal is an expansive, complex and fascinating part of the body. I believe Roach was overwhelmed and this created a disjointed, and not so Mary Roach funny book; actually it was rarely funny in that Roach way.