SkinnyDippingIntoBooks

Skinny Dipping Into Books

time spent in that before bed reading slot:

How are common themes handled?

Where would you keep it post-reading?

Emotional response-

3. Did James Cameron co-wrote this? Artfully contrived.

5-Chanel 4-Prada 3-J-Crew 2-Gap 1-Old Navy

The Complete Stories
Flannery O'Connor
I am No One You Know
Joyce Carol Oates
Unclean Jobs for Women and Girls
Alissa Nutting, Alissa Nutting

Exceptionally dark, sinister, and all bits of entertainment

The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern

This book is childhood. It is adulthood. It is everything between. It is holding onto the magic of youth, even as you wrinkle and your thoughts aren't as clear. You can still do that, you know, hold onto that lovely magical, fantastical world of youth; a world full of out-door excursions, ghost-busters and pretending to be Egon and even getting your haircut with that swirl/colic, being scared of the dark, tents that when your mom said to take it down broke your little heart, pretending to be a pirate full of roar and courage, idealizing your older cousins. How brilliant your imagination was then, and how brilliantly this book recalls that little place in your heart, still regarded as a place to go when scared or reminiscing. I still think I'm superman on occasion…the superman briefs help. You will need all that—possibly sans briefs—, because without your imagination and curiosity, you will undermine its essence.

It is an linear olfactory-scape of sawdust, black and white motif, candy apple, popcorn, toffee, leather, oak, and something animalistic.

It takes place in the late 19th century/early 20th within all corners, from New York to Paris. The Cirque des Rêves is a charming, wondrous place that sets its tent poles as abruptly as it lets them collapse. Marco and Celia will grow up under the black and white swirls of canvas, watching contortionists, flame eaters, and all sorts of yummy, awe striking things. They are groomed to perform the most magical and surreal expressions of their craft, but under what pretense?

Something or someone sinner lurks, and it build up over the pages. The author slowly develops the plot, and like a witch at a caldron making a complicated stew for Hansel and Gretel, we find ourselves in the grasp of an artisan. Morgenstern takes charge of her craft as she slowly weaves together the inception of Cirque des Rêve and the twisted motives for Celia's early refuge within the circus tents.

I think I'll stop there, because even though this story is long in page numbers, the actual plot is a simple thing and once stripped of its magic its pretty mundane. It is an old love story, with its pulp reconfigured in a very unique, never-seen-before, niche way. It would be irresponsible for me to extrapolate the real meaning between Marco and Celia's cohabitation and to put it raw within this review for everyone to read about. I know I am not giving you a lot here, but I can say the book focuses on characters' discovering themselves, stomps through the muckishness of love, and families of all sorts and configurations. Concepts that are already difficult are further knotted by a dark and twisted game.

This book is all about style, from quick flips between past and present, and a lush, highly detailed writing style. This may put off people that don't fall in love with highly plot driven novels, or for those who get caught up in books that shift from here and there, in both time and location, but its beautiful, so give it a shot, ey?

I felt like Hansel, trying to find the familiarity of bread crumbs, but forced to navigate something new and terrifying.