SkinnyDippingIntoBooks

Skinny Dipping Into Books

time spent in that before bed reading slot:

How are common themes handled?

Where would you keep it post-reading?

Emotional response-

3. Did James Cameron co-wrote this? Artfully contrived.

5-Chanel 4-Prada 3-J-Crew 2-Gap 1-Old Navy

Unclean Jobs for Women and Girls
Alissa Nutting, Alissa Nutting
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers - Mary Roach

4.5

"The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants." Theodore Roosevelt

Why does one read this sort of book? Cocktail parties and any sort of social interaction, that’s why! I’ve always wanted to have a fake identity as a mortician. “Yah, I’m a mortician, but it isn’t as glamorous as you think”. And now I will get invited to less and less parties.

It’s morbid, educational, and sometimes down right gross. Ok, it’s probably 100 percent always gross, but I LOVED IT! The author provides a fact, goes off on a non-linear analysis, then often distracts with funny lines that are suppose to lighten up the stuff you read previous. It often works. I laughed constantly, even over the parts about human decomposition. Sometimes it doesn't work. But most of the time is does. Most of the time it is fucking hilariousness.

This book is not suppose to be heavily research-based, nor is it light reading for a beach (Unless you want to get parents making wide loops around your towel, covering their child(rens) faces, and giving you looks of disapproval. This is something I would do. This is why Mary Roach and I would easily slip into a comfortable companionship over Buds [read Gulp……..now]). But this is not a research article. It isn't a quaint, relaxed, read in bed sort of experience, but I did, if only to freak out the BF. I took physiology and biology in college, and I can tell you with certainty that I learned far more from this little book than I did spending 4 grand per class and sitting in class at 8am next to my overly zealous lab partner; I still hate you for having to endure your high pitched voice on hangover days. Simply put, this is highly educational without a snooze factor.

The footnotes drag on, and I'll admit I skipped most of them. I read this initially on kindle, so the small screen really didn’t encourage me to focus on them. A second read strictly focused on the footnotes was rewarding, and offered a more in depth understanding of what I previously read.

It is a fast read and thestyle of writing goes along quickly. She is often frenetic (So am I, so this was a perfect pairing), almost distracted (so am I… seriously, we would make great Bud drinking friends), as if she got up for coffee, a trip to the loo, or maybe she is making lunch, like me right now. Regardless, she leaps around between related (sometimes not related) topics back-to-back or even in the same paragraph. This works 80 percent of the time, but the other 20 I found myself a bit annoyed, but I managed and so will you.

In the end, yes I have used a large majority of this book at social gatherings, and I like the wide-eyed expressions on people’s faces, the fact they step back away, and the unique way it tends to end conversations you never wanted to have in the first place. I am going to make it a point to carry this with me at the most inappropriate times. A great way to avoid people on trains, buses, planes. I am also impressed that I have retained so much information. I have even continued research on topics that interested me, like what to do with my handsome bod once I stop ticking. People think I’m kidding when I say I’d put in my will that I want to be fertilizer in a relatives yard.

“It is astounding to me, and achingly sad, that with eighty thousand people on the waiting list for donated hearts and livers and kidneys, with sixteen a day dying there on that list, that more then half of the people in the position H's family was in will say no, will choose to burn those organs or let them rot. We abide the surgeon's scalpel to save our own lives, out loved ones' lives, but not to save a stranger's life. H has no heart, but heartless is the last thing you'd call her.”

“The human head is of the same approximate size and weight as a roaster chicken. I have never before had occasion to make the comparison, for never before today have I seen a head in a roasting pan.”

“Here is the secret to surviving one of these [airplane] crashes: Be male. In a 1970 Civil Aeromedical institute study of three crashes involving emergency evacuations, the most prominent factor influencing survival was gender (followed closely by proximity to exit). Adult males were by far the most likely to get out alive. Why? Presumably because they pushed everyone else out of the way.”